Skip to main content

Notes for the Youtube Episode Jan 23

 I wrote a blog on the old SFX website on the Tenth Kingdom that I mention in the latest ep of Whittle Waffle on the Youtube. I can not find it but I am a horrific hoarder and found the original copy. Yes I am that person. This is the very brief blog I wrote about it :

 Ten Years Of The 10th Kingdom

 

Recently I re-watched the entire 7 hour extravaganza that is The 10th Kingdom.  Shockingly – to me anyway this programme is coming up to being 10 years old, how did that happen?  This programme – for those that haven’t seen it, is a wonderful story set in the 9 Kingdoms of fairytale. Snow White, Cinderella and Red Riding Hood were real people who lived in this alternate world. A young woman and her father accidently get sucked into this magical place through a magic mirror and go on an amazing adventure trying to find their way back home, and end up finding so much more.

 

How does it hold up after ten years? Pretty blimmin well actually, the effects still look pretty good, the scenery is still jaw droppingly amazing. It’s quite a lot cheesier then I remember but that isn’t that much of problem and is in a way charming. It’s funnier then I remembered and slightly more OTT. The cast is wonderful, Scott Cohen as the Big Bad Wolf steals the entire show, slightly creepy at first, incredibly adorable and conflicted and the fact that he is very easy to look at all add up to a wonderful performance. There are a multitude of guest stars, including Dianne Wiest (whom is a big personal favourite for me, I love that lady), Warwick Davies, Rutger Hauer, Robert Hardy and Jimmy Nail. The lead character Virginia is played beautifully by Kimberly Williams-Paisley. I found that I enjoyed this just as much second time around and ten years later!

 

The 10th Kingdom had so much going for it, an amazing ensemble cast, wonderful effects and scenery, humour, a poignant core, a fabulous scene with Trolls singing Saturday Night Fever, so I really can’t understand why the ratings were so poor.  Right at the end we are told this is story is chapter one in the book of The 10th Kingdom, and I actually felt so sad that it wasn’t – it was the entire story, not quite the Happy Ever After I am sure the creators were hoping for and a big shame for us too.

 [end]


So here we are ten years at least after that. I enjoyed it more this time then I seemed to this time around. Meet me back here in the year 2033 and we will see what I think then! :-D 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robin of Sherwood.

Here we are again, another auld SFX blog. This time a review of Robin of Sherwood, from about 2010 I think. I also think after reading this I absolutely need to watch this again and soon. Sometimes shitty weather is a treat isn't it, or at the very least permission to curl up with ya knitting and your spicy tea, mmmm spicy tea and watch something delicious. And this is really delicious. For more than one reason.  It is probably on Netflix of Prime by now I would've thought. Did you love this? Did it haunt you? Sometimes unbidden, does this scrumptious face just pop into your head? Robin of Sherwood: Nothing’s Forgotten…Nothing’s Ever Forgotten   When I was a child in the 80’s the unmissable television programme of the time was Robin of Sherwood. My overwhelming memories of the series were: Michael Praed being the most beautiful human being I had ever seen, the blond replacement being a bit rubbish and the episode with the Hounds of Lucifer being the most terrifying

Episode 9: Not Live

  Welcome to Episode 9 of Whittle Waffle. This time I am not live but next time I hope to do it live on the Youtubes as I am lazy sooooo lazy.  This time I talk about:  Stuff I Watched The Umbrella Academy Season 2 Taken Red Dwarf Also you can listen to the ep of Geek Syndicate where we interviewed Rob Grant  HERE Once Upon a Time  Me Jimmy, Heidi and Jon on Comic Beat Insider taking Time Bandits Stuff I listened to: The Sandman audiobook Scientology Fair Game Stuff I Read Knitting You can see here:  Tiny Rocky Coast  (Warning links go to Ravelry!) Which is the little cabled cardi                               Olallie  the leg warmers. Knit out of my handspun!                               Socks I don't use a pattern but here is a good pattern should you need it -  How I make my socks by Susan B Anderson and finally not pictured but current work in progress is the Zoe Fan Stitch Jacket by Vibe Ulrik Sondergaard from the book Labour of Love you can see pattern info here -  https://w

Episode 5 : Talk Nerdy to Me

Things I read: Breakfast at Tiffany's Nora Roberts Things I listened to: Cold Days by Jim Butcher The Devil you Know  by Mike Carey Remains of the Day Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier Things I Watched                                            One Mississippi Stan Against Evil Future Man Toy Story 4 Other Geeky Stuff Comic News Insider Flash Gordon Special CLICK HERE Mega City Book Club: The Pit Knitting TheGidday Cardi The Effortless Cardi  and The Maggie Cardi